Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This time, it's ok to be a bit of a snob

I have a confession. Today, I might have realized that I'm a bit of a snob. I like nice things. And today, I came to the realization that this (not surprisingly) extends to my choice of residence. 

You see, today I drove an hour and a half to look at 8 perspective places to live. It was both exciting and overwhelming. Exhilarating and exhausting. Liberating and tied me down.
Basically I'm saying it was both good and bad. 



A little background for you...
A little over three months ago, one of the worst things that I thought could ever happen, happened. 

You see, in your third year of pharmacy school, the didactic work stops and you go on rotations. These consist of anything from working at CVS, a hospital pharmacy, a pediatric wing or a an anti-coagulation clinic. It's a whole new aspect of school that every pharmacy student CANNOT WAIT to get to. It's like the cherry on top of the sundae that is pharmacy school. 

And you see, there were too many people who wanted to be stationed in the same place that I also wanted. So, to be fair and balanced, all our names were put into a bowl and our fates were left up to "The Draw" (if you're now picturing something sort of like the Hunger Games, you'd be correct. Minus the blood. And killing. But basically everything else was the same).

So you see, there I was, so sure that I of all people would not fall victim to the draw. There were too many others. It would be unbearable if I had to up and move. No way would God do that to me. He's put me through enough, surely He won't allow my life to be uprooted again.
(If you can see where this is going, please feel free to laugh at this point. If not, you'll have your chance later.)

So, the draw happened. And out of that purple $1 bowl from Walmart, my name popped. Shock, disbelief and elephant sized tears followed shortly after. 



This aforementioned event is what brings us to today. Because of the fateful day, I got the chance to start an incredible new adventure called "moving to Tulsa". Although it took me awhile to see this as a blessing, I'm now embracing it. Let's see what you've got to offer Tulsa!

Enough tangents; back to the lessons I learned today.
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if that it's a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in South Tulsa for less than $800. 
- It's good to keep an open mind... but if you like something, you like it. Just go with it.
- If you're in a new city, it can be fun to get a little lost. Scary, but fun.
- If the siding on the side of the building is falling off, just skip the tour. I promise the inside doesn't look much better.
- It's your money. Get your money's worth. This goes for everything in life, not just the place you're living.

All this being said, I'm about to apply for my first apartment. Wish my luck and say a little prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment